Things To Know about the Bengal Breed
This is a summary of the Bengal Breed and what you can expect from them!
The Bengal cat is a highly intelligent breed mostly known for its wild, leopard-like appearance. It is also incredibly active and playful with an affectionate and gentle temperament.
The Bengal, or 'miniature leopard' as it is affectionately known, has become increasingly popular in recent times. In fact, it is actually one of the most popular cat breeds. It's affectionate and playful dog-like qualities make it a great family pet.
* The Bengal has an excellent memory. Which can be a good thing as well as a bad thing. For example, if they get stuck in a room all day, they will avoid that same place for several weeks.
* Because of the Bengal cat's wild traits, it's only natural for them to be exceptional hunters. Mice won't be their only prey. Don't be surprised to receive a large array of different animals such birds, rats and other small animals.
* Bengal cats are good at learning tricks! Much like dogs, they are easy to train and can be taught the basic tricks such as 'sit', 'lie down' and 'high five'. But they can also learn how to open doors, turn light switches on and off and even lift up bin lids!
* One of the things that is very common with Bengals is their love of water! Don’t be surprised to find them drinking from the tap. They sometimes even like to drink by dipping their paw into the water bowl and licking it off rather than drinking straight from the bowl itself. Bengals love playing in water and may follow their owners to the bath or shower. Fish owners out there - be careful! Some Bengals enjoy catching goldfish by dipping their paws in the fish tanks. Some Bengals have been known to chirp at their owners to turn taps on to play in the water.
It's also common for a Bengal to splash their water from water bowls before drinking. This is because they don't like still water.
* The Bengal cat is very sensitive to their owner's moods. They can recognise human gestures and expressions, and they adapt their behaviour to it. Your Bengal will learn from your behaviours. Just like children learn first from their parents as an infant and toddler; same goes for the intelligent Bengal.
* Bengal cats are very chatty. It seems like they have the need to communicate about everything, especially when they are trying to tell you that they need or want something. If you ignore them, they will most likely become louder. They can meow in a range of different tones, from sharp to low, giving the impression of a wild animal.
* The coat is a Bengal's most notable characteristic. The base colour can be speckled or marbled with different kinds of markings that decorate the coat. This includes bicoloured rosettes, arrow-point rosettes, open rosettes, and closed rosettes. Some Bengals can inherit the "glitter" gene which gives their coat an iridescent sheen and makes it look like their fur is sparkling in the sun!
* They are great jumpers and climbers. Bengal cats are very active and can actually jump up to three times their height! Their special climbing abilities enable them to hide in the most unthinkable places. They would most likely beat you hands down during a game of hide and seek! Remember to look high. On top of cupboards or in wardrobes. They Love to hide!
* This breed is not one to sleep long hours on the lounge with you. To put it bluntly, if you are after a lounge/sleepy style cat; Bengals just aren't for you. They love to be active, to the point you can even take them walking on a lead like a dog. It's imperative to provide them with cat-friendly toys and don't forget to play with them! They are fantastic with children. As they are both active; the kids and Bengals can play for hours. Let them both use up all their energy for cat naps together.
* Bengal cats can be little thieves. They tend to play with any little objects that they can find around the house and could even hide them in different places. It may be best not to leave things lying around the house! Make sure to offer your Bengal lots of cat-friendly toys to keep them entertained.
Bottletops, toilet rolls, pens and even lipgloss sticks are just to name a few.
* Behind their wild exterior, Bengal's are gentle and affectionate cats. If you have a big family with other pets, then not to worry! They get along well with both kids and other animals. We have heard of some Bengals however have unfortunately not meshed well with other cats. This is rare however it can happen. So be careful introducing a Bengal to another cat you have at home. 99% of the time they will be best friends. However some, may not cope and want to rule the household.
* On top of having a beautiful, distinctive, wild-like fur coat, Bengal cats are intelligent, active and energetic. They love their owners and can sometimes act quite dog-like, playing games like fetch and following their owners. They are great family pets and one thing is for sure, you will have a lot of fun raising them and playing with them. A Bengal cat should be a great fit into your everyday life.
If a Bengal cat is one for your family and lifestyle; then see our available kittens now.